Sunday 13 June 2010

Dell Hell

Ok, so what happened here. A famous blogger Jeff Jarvis starts criticising a Dell product on his blog and within a short period of time Dell finds itself in a trouble. Worst PR ever, declining sales and consequently profits.

Now how would I react if I was the CEO of Dell? Obviously I would be frustrated in the beginning and would want to find the blogger and make him pay for what he's done! After all this was just one computer which turned out to be a "lemon"! But that would be the initial reaction. Coming to my mind would also be denying all that was said, making Jeff Jarvis deny what he said........I should be smarter than that.

After all, even the worst PR in the world is still PR! So the best decision should be to capitalise on that.

First of all, what Jeff Jarvis was saying was obviously true and I should know that. So I would increase customer service and would ensure there's a platform where customers can leave their complaints which will be handled in due course. Now that everyone knows about Dell Hell, I would start a new campaign, a change in the quality of customer service under the name "Dell Hell", or something like "Dell Hell to Dell Heaven", and would hire Jeff Jarvis to manage the change in focus on customer. He would take care of the change management and would use his blog to give publicity to the important change.

Turning a bad publicity into a good one is a challenge but is feasible!

No comments:

Post a Comment